Email from the MoE – We are having a Teleconference with the MoE next Tuesday and would love your feedback:
Dear Home Educating Parent
The Ministry of Education has recently completed its review of home education in New Zealand which we consulted with you on in September 2014. We have now developed a work programme for change which includes a number of operational improvements.
As well as consulting with you, we also sought feedback from Te Aho o Te Kura Pounamu (the Correspondence School) and the Education Review Office (ERO) as well as Ministry of Education staff. We used the feedback from throughout the sector to inform our decisions and actions to improve home education in New Zealand.
You can find a copy of the review report at:
The report contains the Ministry’s future work programme for home education as an appendix and includes dates about when particular changes are scheduled to take place.
These changes are mainly focused on operational improvements including:
· Reviewing the application form and appeal and complaints process
· Developing new practice guidelines
· Training ministry advisors in home education philosophies
· Implementing a more robust application assessment process (in particular regarding declining applications)
We have also made some immediate improvements based on your feedback. For example the Statutory Declarations will no longer need to be signed by a Justice of the Peace which will take effect 1 April 2015.
If you have any questions or feedback, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Group Manager – Sector Enablement & Support
Ministry of Education
Ministry of Education | Te T?huhu o te M?tauranga
- MoE discussions introduction to the Red Tape Cluster Buster meetings
- Preparation for the MoE discussions with Red Tape Cluster Buster meetings andrelevant for the Problem Scoping Survey
- Discussions home educators had online at Clutter buster group or (for ease of reading as not everyone can get onto the Google docs) here…http://hef.org.nz/coming-
- Record of Progress and Achievement (an example of the new National MoE office staff understanding home educators)
- Truancy and the Home Schooler/Home Educator (another success with the National Office in that Megan showed us alternatives)
Please share/forward this link with other home educators.
Updated 1 October 2014: Three years on (Craig Smith’s Health) page 7 click here
Needing help for your home schooling journey:
Here are a couple of links to get you started home schooling:
Information on getting started: http://hef.org.nz/
Information on getting an exemption: http://hef.org.nz/
This link is motivational: http://hef.org.
Exemption Form online: http://hef.org.nz/
Red Tape Cluster Buster Meetings and the Scoping Survey: http://hef.org.nz/2014/next-steps-deadline-8-december-2014/