For those who are not CHE members and have not heard that I’m planning to run
the Beginner’s Guide to Home Education again this November in Christchurch.
For all info, see below.
The Essential Beginner’s Guide to Home Education
This 10-hour seminar, delivered in several sessions, will run in November.
Enrolment deadline 20 October.
While obviously concentrating on ‘beginners’, this comprehensive seminar is
suitable for a wide range of home educating parents. Whether you have not yet
applied for an exemption or have to write another one soon; whether you feel
you’re not too well equipped for your home education career, or you could do
with some better preparation for your ERO review, whether you’re almost lost in
an overwhelming sea of information about curriculum choice, or whether you
wonder just how much work is enough work – this seminar has many answers, handy
tips, ideas and inspiration. It also features a hands-on, practical approach
with active participation, and a course manual.
Content areas are:
* Learning styles and teaching approaches
* Curriculum choice
* Creating a learning environment and learning centres
* Unplanned learning experiences
* Unit studies, Charlotte Mason methods, unschooling, and more
* Sequences in teaching reading, writing and maths
* Assessing your child’s learning
* Planning and record keeping (how much or how little, what is acceptable by
* Avoiding burn-out
* Motivating reluctant learners
* Homeschooling and toddlers – do they mix?
* Homeschooling teens and looking beyond
* Your application for exemption to the MoE
* Your ERO review
* and more
What others have said:
I would like to thank you for the great course you ran over the past weeks. The
information has been invaluable and will help me and my family in many ways. You
gave us so much to think about and prepared us for up and coming hurdles which
was wonderful! Thanks again for all your help.
What I most valued was learning and being reminded of our wide-ranging freedoms.
The final session was especially brilliant. Very practical.
To tell the truth, I could only think that it would be good to go for twice the
seminar time. Have thoroughly enjoyed it!
Lennie, you’re a legend – thanks heaps!
You give me so much confidence to believe in myself.
Latest enrolment date is 20 October. Cost $85 per person (spouse $65).
Dates and venue to be advised.
For information and enrolment forms, please contact Lennie Harrison by phone
(03) 3143720 or email firstname.lastname@example.org