At the moment there are two issues that we need to be looking at for Beneficiaries who home educate.
1 The law see more here
2. Policy put in place 2010 see more here
These are two very different issues and will need to be dealt with differently and separately.
Read about it in this letter to Samuel Blight
Unfortunately there are familes out there being affected by the Policy. The Ministry of Social Development have assured me that they want to look at each case individually and be fair. But with about 3000 staff it is hard for them to know who is doing their job well and who is making things difficult for beneficiaries. If your case worker at WINZ is not being fair and infact is intolerant – if your case worker thinks that you should not be home schooling or keeping your 3 – 5 year old home and is being nasty about it then Head Office would like to hear about it. Please ring 04 916-3300.
The policy is something that we need to be addressing. It has been in place since 2010, and it is not working. We need to strategise on what is best to be doing.
This is urgent. We have until 5pm 1 November to be putting submissions in to the Select Committee. If you have not put a submission in yet please do so as soon as possible. Here are some submissions that have already been submitted to the Select Committee https://hef.org.nz/beneficiaries/submissions/
After 1 November we will need to strategise on what we should be doing during the Select Committee stage which could last up to 6 months.
So for now – during the next 7 days please put in a submission.
We would like to see everyone putting in submissions whether you are beneficiaries or not. You never know when your circumstances could change (a death, loose a job, have health issues). So please put in a submission.
If you have put in a submission please get your family and friends to put in submissions. Thanks.
- Media Release 5 – Beneficiary Parents “Not Able to Home School” Under Social Security Bill
- Media Release 4 – Social Security Bill Targets Responsible Parents for Toughest Penalties
- Letter from Paula Bennett to Samuel Blight
- Opinion Piece in Truth
- Possible timeline for Social Security (Benefit Categories and Work Focus) Amendment Bill
- Media Release 3 – Social Security Bill’s ECE Obligations Breach Human Rights
- Media Release 2 – Vulnerable Children Not Benefited By Social Security Bill
- Media Release 1 – Social Security Bill Coerces Parents, Removes Freedom
- Make a submission: Reject compulsory Early Education for 3 year olds
- Some of the main links
- Comment on Q+A: Social Development Minister Paula Bennett
- Human Rights in New Zealand Today: The right to education
- Raymond S. Moore on Early Childhood Centres
- Should preschool be compulsory?
- TVNZ One this morning Q&A with Paula Bennett
- Maxim Institute: What is best for children?
- HUGE Concerns over the Social Security (Benefit Categories and Work Focus) Amendment Bill
- Letter from Paula Bennett concerning beneficaries and home education
- Toby Manhire on Benefit-slaying Nats starting to look plain nasty
- Linking welfare to preschool attendance a world first
- New Update on: How will the new Social obligations which will be required of all beneficiary parents effect home schoolers?
- How will the new Social obligations which will be required of all beneficiary parents effect home schoolers?
From the Smiths:
Updated 5 October 2012: One year on (Craig Smith’s Health) page 7 click here
Needing help for your home schooling journey:
Here are a couple of links to get you started home schooling:
This link is motivational:
Social Security (Benefit Categories and Work Focus) Amendment Bill